DesignPhiladelphia is excited to announce the third and special edition of our Best in Design Challenge – this year we are focusing on emerging designers, hence the slight name change this year – Best in Emerging Design. We also decided to narrow our design challenge to a specific discipline for this year: interior architecture and design. We plan to switch up the disciplines every year and perhaps even grow to a multiple category competition – but for this year – we are focusing on a virtual competition that asks our emerging designers to reimagine the interior of the Center for Architecture and Design, 1218 Arch Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107.
A Google Sketchup 3D model of the Center for Architecture and Design will be provided as the platform for all to use to get creative and reimagine the Center. The Center IS NOT planning a remodel or renovation, so these designs are simply to show off your creativity and design excellence.
The Best in Emerging Design Challenge is looking to propel Philadelphia’s best emerging design businesses/designers forward by providing robust local and international exposure. Finalists will showcase work at DesignPhiladelphia 2020. The winning design solution will be awarded with a cash prize of $5,000. All finalists will be featured during the DesignPhiladelphia Festival.
It is free to apply and you should apply if you are…
- local to the Greater Philadelphia region (Philadelphia + 5 surrounding counties)
- someone who has been working for 10 years or less in or around the design industry (sorry, no students for this competition)
- designing interiors for a living or as a passion.
- **2 Separate Office Spaces (each with 8 workstations and a communal table)
- 3 Conference Rooms
- Lecture Area for 150 people
- Exhibition wall space of at least 100 linear feet
- Assembly capacity for events of 250 people
- Socially distanced options for use of Office, Lecture, and Assembly areas (6 ft distance between individuals)
**Only the office space must be dedicated – the rest can be flexible space that accommodates the other uses (i.e., wall space in conference rooms can be exhibit walls; conference rooms can combine to be lecture area or assembly area).
July 16, 2020, 12pm -- Attend Informational Webinar
August 15th 11:59pm -- Completed submissions DUE
Late August -- Finalists announced
Oct 7 -- DesignPhiladelphia Kickoff Party
Oct 8 (or date TBD) -- Best In Emerging Design Exhibition Opening + Talk
Please submit the following items on the DesignPhiladelphia website:
- Project Title
- Team Members or Individual, contact information and bio(s).
- Narrative describing your design concept, process, and solution (500 words max)
- Four (4) images of your project. (Only .PNG, .JPG, or .TIFF files are acceptable, each file limited to 2MB)
The jurors of Best In Emerging Design will be a multidisciplinary group of design professionals from the Philadelphia region. Jury will be announced shortly.
- Application of global principles of good design
- Successfully implementation of the program outlined in this brief.
- Originality and creativity of concept
- Quality of rendering and graphics of completed 3D model.
If your team has any administrative questions about the competition, please contact Rebecca Johnson, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
By submitting an entry to this competition, the designer acknowledges that all work submitted is original and is the intellectual property of the applicant. The design competition organizers-- DesignPhiladelphia, the Center for Architecture and Design--claims no responsibility or accountability in any form for any misrepresentations or other legally infringing matters of authorship. Design competition organizers reserves the right to publish and/or reproduce images and copy from any and all submissions, with credit to its creator(s).
INTERESTED IN SPONSORING THE BEST IN EMERGING DESIGN CHALLENGE? EMAIL JERMAINE JENKINS AT email@example.com.